Friday, April 9, 2010

Supper Time For the Diabetic

So. Looked around the room for my purse, which holds the ever-important INSULIN! It was near the pit bull. I dug through the make-up and the random receipts to find the Novalog vial. This one is mainly full. Found an unused syringe. I have to make a mental note to throw out the used syringes in my bag. They tend to collect when you are barely home, and don't dare to throw them out on campus due to all the drug-using hippies that I have been warned about. I would hate for my syringes to be used to shoot up, and then have the drug end up killing some poor kid.

So I drew up 12 units of Novalog, which, right now, covers about 60 carbohydrates. Yes, carbs, not Calories. Calories are not as precise, and my diagnosis is more complex than a lot of diabetics out there. Took the insulin, which hurt- probably going to have a bruise on my stomach now. Set the insulin on my cluttered desk- also must make mental note to put it back in purse with fresh bag of syringes for my trip to Boston tomorrow. Now I'm writing about my conquest on remembering to take insulin for my food. Took a bite of the AWESOME spaghetti that my boyfriend's mom made, and it is cold. Bummer. I will still eat it though. Might end up with a low blood sugar soon because I doubt there are 60 carbs in the dish of spaghetti I have eaten. Then I will suck down some juice. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment