Friday, April 9, 2010

Young, Poor Diabetic Revolts

Diabetics are not just diseases with two feet. We breathe, we think. We have hopes and dreams. We have families, we have jobs. We are not our disease. However, things are hard for us, especially if you are 21, like I am. 

I am a full time student who works to help pay for college and living costs. However, when I turned 21, I was told I had a month before my state insurance ran out. Now, I am not a rich person. I barely make ends meet with the little money that comes from my cashiering job at Hannaford's. I pay rent, I pay for gas, I pay for the cell phone that I need in case of emergencies. I pay for the $200 French book that I needed for class. I don't have the money to pay for two vials of Insulin, two-three boxes of syringes, two boxes of 100-count test strips, two boxes of 100-count lancets, and whatever else I need for my Diabetes. Did you know that one vial of Levimir  costs $115? One vial of Novalog is $100. And I need two Novalog and one Levimir a month, not counting the syringes, or the test strips, which are $66 for a box of 50 test strips. How is a full time student supposed to pay for that every month?

I am struggling to find a way to pay for everything. Right now I am working on my reserves that I have stored up, but that is about to run out in... a little over a week. My father gave me some money to get another vial, but my father barely makes his own bills. I cannot ask him for money, and see him want for food or electricity or whatever else he needs. It's wrong. So what do I do? 

It seems that the government, and the people that make money off my medicines, want us poor Diabetics to just curl up on our sides and die. However, I much prefer to live. I have things to live for. I have a boyfriend, I have my family, I have my education. I have a dog, and I have dreams. I will not go down without a fight!

So I decided to make a blog, to try to get some light shed on how life really is for us young, poor diabetics. Hopefully somebody reads this and decides that something needs to be done. If not, then it is a way for me to vent.

~LeseulLoupGris~

2 comments:

  1. Things are different in the UK, so if you ever want to move country I say move here. Free medication? Yes, please, because to be quite honest after the support I have experienced here, I think I would be more likely to die than anything if I moved back to Maine. My doctor is actually blackmailing me into going to see him. If he doesn't get PAID to see me, I don't pay him or the government or the NHS anything, well, what other reason can you see for a doctor to blackmail a patient into coming in but for their health and their wellbeing? Diabetes is a condition that is growing, everywhere. Type 2, especially. Ignorance for it is equally widespread (the frightening thing is, it is widespread in people WITH diabetes). The concept that it is easy to deal with, easy to manage, and easy to keep up with as far as supplies and appointments are concerned is a myth spread by ignorant people.

    I think living in Maine makes Diabetes a fight. On the one hand, you get poor supplies (I'm remembering what you used ot use as a kid- VERY few people mix their own insulin over here, and if they do it is because the type of insuline they HAVE to be on, for health reasons and not money, forces them to). I think spending your own money, and being able to spend your own money as you see fit, makes it a fight. The biggest fight,though, is the worrying about control. What to eat,what not to eat. Damn, Robert's mother tells me so many things I shouldn't be buying because 'diabetics aren't allowed ' (she is a diabetic) and I have to shrug and go on with my grocieries because if I followed every stigma and myth about diabetes people like my Grandmother, Roberts mother, and other miss-informed individuals threw at me I would starve to death (I can't have normal pasta my ASS- I am fuckin eating it! Who has better Diabetic control Joan, me or you? roarhiss). ;)

    Kk rant done.

    Omg I could have commented using livejournal. I think I may explode now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lawl. I didn't realize you had a Blogger. Yeah, I wish the US was like that. And I understand about the myths. Although I do tend to eat healthier lately. I spoil myself with sugar free Edy's fruit Popsicles, but then again, I eat whole grain breads now, and not a lot of candy.

    ReplyDelete