Sunday, April 11, 2010

Trip To Boston

So I went to Boston yesterday with my boyfriend/fiance thing (lawl) and our Marine Bio teacher and the few members that decided to go. Packed all my things- insulin, syringes, snacks. Snacks consisted of Gatorade and Pepper Relish Lays chips. Yum. Blood sugars were okay. I didn't feel any high blood sugars coming on, and I hardly ever have low blood sugars at the moment. We arrived and went to the Aquarium. It was amazing. My favorite thing was the Sea Turtle. She was a beauty. Anyway. It was hard to keep a tabs on my blood sugars because right now, I don't have a monitor. I would have bought a replacement one, but apparently they don't make that type anymore. I had gone to get a different type, but it would have consisted of me having to buy brand new test strips. And the test strips for it ran about $66 for a box of 50 test strips. Umm, that is a week's worth. That's almost my entire paycheck. So no thanks. I will keep a tab on my blood sugars by feel for now. I did, however, find a program that will help me get test strips for cheaper, for like $20 a box. And it is supposed to get me a free test monitor. I have to go out today and hopefully get it.

Alright. For today.

So, I keep waking up with high blood sugars. Or at least, that is what they feel like. Heavy heartbeat, dry, nasty-tasting mouth, head all dizzy and such. Body feels slow. So. Why do I keep waking up with high blood sugars? I take my levimir every night. I know I did last night before I went to sleep. Do I eat stuff before bed and don't remember to take insulin for the food? Let's see. What did I have when I got home last night from Boston? I had... a slice of pizza, and a Popsicle. Popsicle was 5 carbohydrates- not enough to bother with. I guess it was the pizza. It would have had at least 15 carbohydrates in it, and add that to the popsicle that would be 20 carbohydrates. I should have taken 4 units of novalog. Without the 4 units, that drives my blood sugars up 30 points for every unit of insulin. So. 120 points above what it should have been. And did I take insulin for the supper I had? I did, but was it enough? Probably not, because it was fast food, and fast food is hard to calculate. Therefore, we found the source of the high blood sugars.

What could be done about this? Well, fast food restaurants could be nice and put a menu up of everything on their menu with the carbs listed right on it for each size. But no, they don't do that. They don't care if people have a hard time with their food due to medical reasons. They don't care if people become sick because of it. They just want our money. Another reason why I hate how things are run. It should be a law that restaurants have to list the amount of carbohydrates in each of their foods. But that would be too much of a hassle, and nobody wants to deal with it, so people like me who have to count their carbs have to suffer for it. Are we supposed to just not eat out? Are we supposed to eat it and suffer? I don't think that is right. We have a right to live just like any other person.

No comments:

Post a Comment